Estonian Society of PRM Doctors (ESPRMD) was founded in 1992; comprises approximately one hundred active members.
The Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PRM) exist as a medical speciality since 1992 while Department of Sport Medicine and Department of Physical Medicine were incorporated into Department of Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Tartu.642-564
Postgraduate training of PRM doctors started in 1997, residency lasts for three years.
One of the priorities of the Society and the Board is extending the duration of residency up to at least four years. There are 37 PRM doctors have completed residential training. The postgraduate medical training is carried out in best facilities in Estonia under the supervision of best specialists of the profession. In addition to developing practical professional skills and experience while performing procedures and investigations, the residents have to participate in theoretical courses, conferences, clinical rounds and educate themselves with the help of scientific literature.
At present time ESPRMD is commited to improve access to medical rehabilitation and quality of care.
The main priorities of the PRM include:
- intensive multidisciplinary rehabilitation after acute illness or trauma
- easily accessible outpatient rehabilitation
- centralisation of inpatient beds into separate units.
- developing of local evidence based guidelines of rehabilitation (stroke, PCI, cardiovascular rehabilitation, OA etc)
- co-operation of other medical societies (family doctors, neurologists, cardiologists, rheumatologists etc.)
- co-operation with the related specialists (societies of speech therapists, psychologists, physiotherapists)
- cohesive system of assessment tools for treatment outcomes
Estonian Society of PRM Doctors is a member of UEMS PRM Section and Board as well as of ESPRM.642-565
East Tallinn Central Hospital
Pärnu mnt 104, 11312 Tallinn, Estonia
Phone + 372 60 676 23
GSM (ESPRMD) +37253003798
Fax + 372 60 676 004
Board of ESPRMD:
Annelii Nikitina – Chairman of the Board ESPRMD; email@example.com
Tiina Tammik – Secretary of ESPRMD; firstname.lastname@example.org